Finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman, on March 26, announced the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Scheme to help the poor during the coronavirus pandemic.
Under the Rs 1.70 lakh crore scheme, cash transfers will be made to poor and migrant workers.
Amid the COVID-19 outbreak, migrant workers in major cities have been struggling to obtain essential supplies since the 21-day lockdown began. Several of them are also at risk of losing their income and jobs.
Coronavirus India LIVE Updates
The finance minister also announced the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana. Under this scheme, an additional 5 kg of rice or wheat will be given over the next three months, along with an additional 1 kg of preferred pulses to each household.
In the first week of April, farmers will be given Rs 2,000 each upfront as their first instalment under the PM Kisan Yojana, Sitharaman added.
She also announced a medical insurance cover of Rs 50 lakh each for healthcare workers, which is estimated to benefit 20 lakh beneficiaries.
Also read: Food for poor, cash for needy: 10 key announcements by FM Nirmala Sitharaman
All the packages announced come into effect immediately, Sitharaman said.
Other key announcements made by Sitharaman include:
– Hiking wages under National Rural Employment Guarantee Act, 2005 (MNREGA) by Rs 2,000 per worker
– 8 crore below poverty line (BPL) families to get free LPG cylinders
– States asked to use the Rs 31,000 crore fund to aid construction workers.
– States directed to utilise District Mineral Fund for COVID-19 Medical expenses
– Senior citizens, widows, divyangs to get Rs 1,000 through direct benefit transfer (DBT)
– States asked to use the Rs 31,000 crore Building and other Construction Workers’ Fund (BOCW) to provide economic relief to construction workers.
– Centre to pay the Employees Provident Fund (EPF) contribution of both employers and employees (total 24 percent) for the next three months. This is applicable for companies that have up to 100 employees and where 90 percent earn less than Rs 15,000.
– Rs 500 per month for the next three months to all women Jan Dhan account holders.
News Source:- Moneycontrold